If you are new to this blog, start here.

20.2.09

Saving the dancer.

“Is that her?” Sharley asked.

“Yes” I answered, then turned my attention toward Jamira. She looked a bit shocked. Maybe she never seen two girls kiss before, well not like that anyway. “Jamira, this is Sharley.” Turning back to Sharley, “Sharley, this is Jamira.”

Sharley sauntered over to the couch and sat beside her. Jamira was looking a little scared at this point. “Don't be afraid,” Sharley told the girl, “I only bite her.” She smiled in my direction.

"Ummm, I don't know what to say.” Jamira nervously spoke up. “My family told me so many awful things about the Caldari.”

“So,” responded Sharley, “I was told some pretty bad things about the Gallente and I know it's not true about all of them. If I was as awful as you were told my people are, would I be extending my hand to help you?”

I'm sure Sharley must have been quite the intimidating sight. Full dress Caldari Navy uniform and a rather large blaster on her hip will make most anyone think twice about who they are dealing with. Though I do have to say, that skirt looks a little shorter than navy issue. Jamira just sat there petrified. She had this confused look about her. I decided to break the silence. "Round of Quafe Ultra's?"

"Please!" Both said nearly in unison. I had a feeling, if this stuff can ease tensions between the Gallente and Amarr, it can ease the scared girl on my couch. Sharley turned back to her. "See, we are not that much different. Now, what's troubling you?"

She started crying, "The mining colony I lived on was invaded by Serpentis pirates. My family left in escape pods but mine got separated. I have no idea where they are and everyone except Persephone has been trying to take advantage of me. I just want to find my family and get off this station. The habitation module was the only home I have ever known and it's gone. I'm scared and I want my father!" She just broke into tears after that.

Sharley hugged her and started rubbing her back while Jamira's head rested on her shoulder. "I understand. We are going to find him. We are going to take you to him. Then we are going after the pirates."

I set the bottles of Quafe down on the table, along with a shot for me. Then I embraced Jamira around her waist from behind. "We will do what we can for you." I told her. "You are in good hands here, literally even."

Jamira's sobbing stopped. She sat herself up as we both let go. By this point her eye makeup had streaked down her face. She looked like Minmatar war tattoos gone wrong. She took a drink to compose herself. "But how do I pay you?"

"Don't worry about it" Said Sharley. "I'm sure those pirates have some nice bounties"

"They are usually good for looting too" I added. "Why don't you gone get yourself cleaned up while we try to track down your folks. You look like you are about the same size as me, so if you want to borrow something more comfortable from my closet, you can. Just make sure I get it back clean and undamaged."

"Thank you so much, you are far too kind." She said as she excused herself.

After she left I turned to Sharley. "I feel so badly for her. Honestly though, at first I had no idea. I just thought she needed a friend and a sense of guidance. Explains why she was such an awful dancer. She was doing it because she needed money and couldn't do much else."

"Dancer?" Sharley asked.

"Yeah, I picked her up at the bar. She was getting hassled by some big dumb Brutor that wouldn't take 'no' for an answer."

"Sounds like she has all kinds of problems."

"Yeah. Think the agents you work with can find her folks?" I asked Sharley. "I was going to check the contracts and see if there was one put out on her. Her family has to be worried sick."

"I'll get on the comm terminal and see what I can find. Any idea where she's from?"

I thought for a minute. "She never said"

"That's going to make it a little harder."

Sharley and I went to work at the comms. While she contacted agents that specialize in tracking, I went looking for contracts. We were not coming up with anything. Jamira stepped in, wearing an outfit similar to mine. "Good choice, we could be sisters." I complimented her.

She smiled, "So it's OK that I'm wearing this?"

"Sure, as long as I get it back" I answered.

"May I ask why you have Amarr robes in there?"

Sharley and I couldn't help but laugh. "Those were from one of my more blasphemous performances. I almost started a war with those." That's really all she needed to know, then I moved back to the task at hand. "Jamira, where was your mining colony and where was your escape pod supposed to be headed?"

"The colony was in the Stetille system, I don't know where we were going."

"I know Stetille, there is quite a bit of Serpentis activity there." That's a help, but I'm going to need more. "What are your parent's names?"

"Dockarde and Jarella."

"Hmmm, that helps a lot." And it does, now we have names and places. "Sharley, can you think of anything else we need?"

"Did your family mine for a corporation?" She asked. "I've given your name and your parents names to my agents, but the more information we have, the better."

"I think he mines for the Federation Navy. I know he is always running ore to the assembly plant in Dodixie. I've gone with him a few times." Jamira looked down, "I wish I could be more help."

"That might have been enough." I told her, "Let's see what we can find."

I contacted the Federation Navy plant in Dodixie. If he deals with them maybe they heard from him. To my surprise, that's where he was. I told them I had urgent news concerning his daughter. They put me through to him. As he appeared on the screen his voice came through.

"This is Dockarde Quayze, what information do you have about my daughter?"

Before I could say anything, Jamira got up from the couch and ran to the comm. "Daddy!" she screamed, nearly knocking me over.

"Is that news enough?" I added.

"Jamira, we thought the worst had happened. Are you alright?" He asked as a tear shed from his eye.

"I am now. Persephone and Sharley have done so much for me." She seemed elated.

"When can you return her? We miss her so much." Her father asked with much relief.

"How does morning sound? It's been a really long day for us." I asked him. I'd take her now, but I'm really tired.

"That's fine, now that I know she's O.K."

Sharley approached us. "May I speak to him?"

"Mr. Quayze, my partner, Sharley would like to speak to you."

A sense of fear over took him as the young Caldari sat down in front of the comm.

No comments:

Post a Comment